Friday, April 16, 2010

Bazaar Behavior


Day after day, people here are doing the same things. Working in the same offices, eating in the same dining facility, talking to the same people and exercising in the same gym. Almost every Friday though, we
have a bazaar similar to a flea market where people can go shopping. Many of them are looking for a little bit of retail therapy to get them through the next week or two.

There are many things to see if you're in the mood, but the novelty wore off rather quickly for me. Carpets and jewelry are the most popular items, but scarves, knives, sunglasses, pottery, carvings and all sorts of knick knacks and souvenirs are available.

It can be intimidating the first few times that you go. The salemen are very aggressive, and behave differently than we're used to in the United States. There is security around the bazaar and walking around, so there's no real threat, but it is different.

They'll reach out, as if to shake your hand, but then they'll hold onto it and guide you over to their table. They'll say things like "My friend, You are my first business today. I will give you a very good deal."

It's a challenge to just enjoy looking for things because so many of them are aggressive.

If you do see something you like, you can bet that you can probably get it for half of whatever they say. If this trinket is $100, a bit of negotiating will often have you walking away with it for $50. (And odds are that they really only paid $20 for it...)

Some are not above lying to you to make a buck... I saw an old fashioned sextant a few weeks ago. I'd been reading some sailing magazines, so I thought that was interesting. The man told me it was an original from the 1800s... yet 10 stalls down I saw another one just like it. "Is it real?" I asked... "No, just a very good copy!"

A few treasures are found on occasion. A viewing periscope from a soviet tank. Antique muzzleloading firearms. Jewelry, lapiz, and handmade carpets. All interesting to look at, but not quite interesting enough for me to buy them.

I've found it best to stride through with a sense of purpose. looking at what I wish, and being direct with them. "I'm just looking. I don't have any money with me" seems to do the trick usually.

A female friend of mine just came to Afghanistan a few weeks ago and attended the bazaar by herself today. It was a mind-blowing experience for her. I asked her what she got at the bazaar, and she told me "A scarf, a necklace, a bracelet, and three marriage proposals."

Everywhere she went, they gave her gifts, stroked her arm and shoulder, and asked her if she was married... or wanted to be married. She came out of there feeling like a cow that they were looking to purchase!

Bizarre as the bazaar can be, no one's ever offered to marry me...

3 comments:

Rob Britt said...

Very interesting Mike. All the countries have their own customs. I was stationed in two foreign places, Germany and Texas. Both were quite odd and helped me in my quest to learn foreign languages.

Annie said...

Interesting to get a glimpse of other worlds through a blog post. Reminds me of visits that I have made to other countries and feeling a little out of place without the knowledge of how to embrace their customs. Looking forward to getting more glimpses.

Unknown said...

Reminds me of my TDY days in Incirlik, Turkey Mike! Copper Ali's, and the carpet salesmen kept us well entertained...and never drank so much tea in my life! Just wish I'd bought more of them beautiful hand-made carpets...

Mtn Jim

http://mtnjimfisher.com