Thursday, April 15, 2010

Confession is Good for the Soul

I'm Guilty.

I didn't mean to do it.

I know it's against the rules. They warned me about her and her friends when I first arrived.

But she kept after me. Calling out to me when I walked by.

Rubbing against my leg when I was just standing there minding my own business.

Then one day, as I was sitting on a bench, she cuddled up next to me, and my resolve cracked.

I touched her, and she purred.

Though I felt bad about breaking the rules, I continued to stroke her for a few minutes before coming to my senses. I abruptly got up and walked away...

We have at least a dozen cats on the base. One of the base physicians said that we shouldn't touch them, and that they might carry fleas or have other diseases.

Most of them have been "fixed" and are allowed to stay on the compound to keep the rodent population at bay.They often "dock" the ear of the animals that have been spayed or neutered so they know which ones have been done.


Some folks pretend to ignore them, but pet them when they think no one's looking... Others make no pretense at all about it, they allow the cats to lounge around in their work areas...

One day, a friend of mine looked a little upset. I asked him what was the problem... He said the post office had a package for him, but the mailman wouldn't give to him yet. Turns out that a cat was sleeping on the box and the mailman didn't want to wake it!

This one was following people around, looking for a little attention or food.

This guy was just sitting around surveying the area. They all tend to keep to their own little territories. They'll climb over, under and around buildings and fences as they make their rounds.


For a little food and attention, we've got a small army of pets to give people a feeling of home and love...

Our unofficial pets bring peace to our hearts, and dead mice to the door.

Just like at home.

8 comments:

Rob Britt said...

Pets are great. I am allergic to cats, so I stick to my "ignore them" vow, but that just seem to make them crave my attention. what the heck is up with that?
In the meantime, I'll pet my dog, and my grand-dog, too.

Evelyn Roberts Brooks said...

Great photos, Mike. I love this story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Unknown said...

I LOVE this post! Being an animal lover and mother of 4 cats..how can you resist. I'm sure those kitties are getting a lot of attention and giving back a lot of love! Enjoy my friend! Maggie

Geoff said...

I absolutely understand the post man not delivering that box.

Deb said...

I had no idea! It sure would be hard not to give them love. Difficult to resist. I'm allergic and still can't resist! LOL

Can't they get some flea collars for the base? Dumb question? I don't know. ;-O

Jeanne Kolenda said...

Great story! I'm a sucker, too.
But for puppies more than kittens.

Annie said...

Love the post. I am a push over for kitty's. So glad that I am not allergic.

Elaine Wilson said...

Mike,
Thanks, Your post gave me a good laugh and a smile. I have been a "cat watcher" since I was a little girl. Cats are such interesting creatures.
Elaine (internetelaine)