Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Harmonic Experience


We sometimes walk down the street about half a mile to another base. It's a pretty secure area overall, but locals can walk in, shop at the little stores, etc.

If you go for a walk down the street near our base, you'll be approached by boys. One or two might take your hand or hang on your arm and walk with you down the street while asking for money or candy. If you start to give something to one, the others will swarm around you, like sharks in a feeding frenzy.

Some of them try to sell bracelets or other trinkets. Most speak at least a little English.
"My friend, my friend, buy a bracelet!"

If you want to buy something from one, they'll appeal to your sense of fairness:
"Buy one from him, one from me!"

One day a group of us were walking, and we saw a group of half a dozen boys approaching. When they approach, they stride with a purpose, fan out to approach each person, and start their sales pitch.

I said "I'll draw them off..." and reached into my pocket for my secret weapon....

I pulled out my trusty harmonica and started playing "Oh Susanna!" The boys were surprised and immediately gathered around me to see what I was doing... They smiled and laughed as I showed them how I could play it... One boy wanted to try it...

A harmonica is a very personal instrument... You literally breathe through it to create the music, so I was honestly a little reluctant to let some 9 year old street kid put his lips on MY harp... But I got over myself, wiped it off on my pants leg, and let him try it. He tentatively gave it a little blow and when he heard the sound he smiled one of the biggest and brightest smiles I'd ever seen.


They boys all asked if I could get them each one, and I promised that I would, but that it would take a few weeks. Then I had to hurry down the street to catch up to my group. I'd drawn off the boys, so my "friends" kept on cruising unencumbered!

I ordered over a dozen harmonicas and waited patiently for their arrival. Eventually they came and I was able to distribute them over the course of a few days to all of the original boys plus a few of their brothers and friends.

A little gift goes a long way here... Weeks later, a few nights ago, I went walking to visit a friend at another compound. I saw the original boy who had smiled so broadly, and he wanted to give my friend and I each a bracelet as a gift...

I asked if he still had his harmonica, and he told me that a security guard had taken it... He looked like he was recovering from a black eye as well. It's a rough world these kids are living in, but I'm hoping at least this one kid will remember a gift of music.

I've got his replacement harp right here...

7 comments:

Susan Forbes said...

I love hearing of those little glimmers of light during dark times. What a great gift you were able to give to those kids. I'm sure they, as well as you, will never forget. Stay safe my friend and God bless :)

Unknown said...

Mike
As usual, you are amazing! That was a touching post and a beautiful thing you did with those boys. Be safe and take care! Maggie!

Geoff said...

This is a wonderful story. A heartfelt experience written by a heartfelt writer. Keep writing, my friend, you have something to say and you say it well.

Geoff said...

This is a wonderful story. A heartfelt experience written by a heartfelt writer. Keep writing, my friend, you have something to say and you say it well.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story. I wish the boy had did not have a black eye, but he probably had never gotten such a cool gift and that is awesome!

Thank you Mike for being over there and will be glad to see you stateside once again.

Unknown said...

Very cool Mike! Touching a kids life, no matter what country you're in, is a very worthwhile endeavor. You did good, Bro! Keep up the good work, look forward to your return to the States.

Mtn Jim

HelenRappy said...

What an amazing story Mike. I got major Goose bumps! We take so much for granted and it is a great reminder to just be really present and appreciate that we have such an abundance of great gifts!
xox
Helen