Saturday, April 10, 2010

Miss Me?


I've been living in Afghanistan for several months now. Seen many people come and go, and I'm starting to feel each departure a little more deeply.

At first, I was excited to see someone complete their tour and return home. It seemed like such an accomplishment for them, and they all seemed so excited to be reunited with family and friends.

Now I'm not so sure. Each person's departure means more work for me! Work arranging their flights, work writing evaulations, work training their replacements, work sweet-talking the NATO folks.

Not only that, I've now spent months with these people so each departure feels like I'm losing a friend! We still have pictures on the wall of people who left just a month ago, yet it seems like ancient history. They're back in their regular job, back in their regular home, and doing their regular thing.

This deployment has been somewhat of an adventure in many ways. Yes, I'm carrying a weapon almost everywhere. Yes, I've driven an armored truck through town and local traffic. Yes, I've heard gunshots and explosions in the distance...

I've met young boys on the streets, and bought their trinkets, and given them small gifts. I've sat cross legged on the floor of a carpet seller's shop eating lamb and rice. We've talked about the oppression of the Taliban, and the changes over the years from the Russians to the Taliban to NATO.

I share these adventures with my coworkers. Each day, something happens... We roll our eyes and say "You can't make this stuff up!"

These events help us to bond, but then the bonds are broken as we return home. And it hurts a little... Over time it gets to be tiresome. This week, the lady I flew in with will hop on a plane and return home from her deployment.

I'll be here a few more months. The main people I work with will all redeploy before me, so I'll have the distinct pleasure of helping train my new boss, coworkers, and my replacement.

I intend to write something each day for the next thirty days to record and share some on my deployment experiences. I hope that you can enjoy and relate to my experiences.

No comments: