Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Few Moments...

When in a deployed environment, privacy is one of the main things that you have to live without.

You share a room or tent with others, you share the latrines, heads, or restrooms with others. The gym, the office, the computers... All must be shared. We often have 3 to 6 people shoehorned into a office that would normally hold one or two.

The small shops and the dining facility are often full of folks as well. It's hard to have any alone time for more than a few minutes.

Luckily, for me, my roommate went home for leave, so I've had a few days with a room all to myself. That allows me to wake up when I want, to sleep when I want, and to write blog posts until the late hours of the night if I want.

Suddenly, having this opportunity to experience privacy again reminded me of how much I missed it!

I've always been a social guy... I'd rather do almost anything with the crowd than by myself, but that's started to change over the last few years. I've had to live apart from the family to work or attend school. I've actually learned to enjoy my own company!

I'm still going to be sociable. When I return, I'm planning to visit family and friends all around the country for as long as I have time and money... Or until my next position needs me to start...

With today's technology, it's as if all of my friends are with me. I can call them, text them, tweet to them or Facebook them! So later this summer, you're all invited along, at least virtually.

Who else really wants to be in a van with a bunch of children driving across country in June or July? Yeah, I didn't think so...

This evening, it rained for a little while, and then was just moderately cool and overcast with a slight breeze. I sat down on the patio of this little coffee shop that we have on base and just "soaked in" the experience. (Literally, soaked up the leftover rain when I sat down...)

The moist air and the slight breeze felt just like an evening on the lanai in Hawaii last May. The scenery is different, but the feeling was the same.

At the moment at least, the town was peaceful. No traffic noise, sirens, or anything like you'd expect in an typical city. Here, it gets quiet quickly after dark.

I appreciated the moment out of a busy day. I was tired, but felt good, and I hope that we can leave this country such that the people may have peace in their homes every night.

Now I'm back to my room to share these thoughts with you.
Enjoy your privacy when you have it, and enjoy being sociable when you don't!
I'll enjoy my few more days of privacy here while I can.

Where do you go to have some alone time?

2 comments:

Treasures By Brenda said...

Great post; I hear you.

I'm not sure that I have any need for time alone, because I seem to get just the right amount when all of my family are out doing what they do. However, I cannot imagine never being alone or having one of them present all of the time.

Deb said...

Hi Mike,

I had little understanding of what life was like over there for you guys... but I'm beginning to see it through your words. They make me smile, giggle, think... and FEEL a lot of things.

When you said, "I hope that we can leave this country such that the people may have peace in their homes every night." I experienced pride. I'm proud of you!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Deb