Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Let's Give Them Something to Talk About...

What to say, what to say...

The wonders of modern technology allow many of us the opportunity to communicate with family, friends, and business associates all across the globe. Though we still can send letters, notes and cards by mail, waiting weeks for a reply, we're usually using electrons to transmit our messages through radio waves, computers, fiber optic cables and maybe even a few satellites.

Instant Gratification: I want it all, I want it now.

In the middle of a city where donkey carts intermingle with traffic, goats eat trash at the side of the road and children beg for money in the streets, I can still make a cell phone call all the way back to the United States.

From our base, and most bases in the area, I can get on the internet and use e-mail, Twitter, Facebook and other programs to interact and build relationships with people.

Most of the time, I enjoy the ability to be connected to my family and friends. At the end of a long and tiring day though, it's not always easy to enjoy listening to your son whine about how Mommy won't let him run through a sprinkler... It's also not easy to understand another son who has decided that being able to talk without opening his mouth would be a useful skill to develop.

I appreciate being able to talk to my sweet wife, if only for a few minutes before the next crisis of the day erupts. For those few minutes, after school, before soccer or piano lessons, we are able to actually talk about what's going on, how we're feeling, and what we're planning to do.

She's not worried about what to fix me for dinner, I've already eaten. I'm not worried about taking out the trash, fueling the cars, or mowing the lawn, she's got it all under control.

We just have time to talk. Dreams, summer plans and ideas are all fair game. Friends and family visits will fill much of our "free time" this summer after I return.

I notice that absence does make the heart grow fonder. When I'm at home, in the middle of the daily ruckus, it's sometimes difficult to appreciate all of the moments and events.

When I miss all of that... Well, I miss all of that.

1 comment:

Martha Giffen said...

So touching. Thank you for sharing!