Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Compassion

I was talking with a friend about compassion this evening.

We talked about how we often get wrapped up in whatever project that we are working on. Sometimes, opportunities to help someone and to show compassion can be missed because we are focused on something else.

My wife demonstrated this principle to me years ago. We were on our way to visit the temple in Mesa, Arizona. We were visiting family, and were taking a side trip.

When we were just a few blocks away, I could see my destination. As we sat and waited for the light to turn green, my wife noticed a man who was carrying a box of food who looked very tired.

"He looks like he needs some help," she said. I looked over at him, leaning against a streetlight, resting in the got Arizona sun. He did look tired, and he was near a bus stop, so I said something brilliant, like, "He'll be all right, he's just waiting for a bus."

My compassionate wife insisted that we help him, even though we were only two blocks away from our destination, where we were going to learn about... Compassion...

Mildly chagrined at my single mindedness, I turned around and we asked the man if he needed a ride. He accepted, and loudly praised the Lord all the way to his home, where two young children were waiting for him to return with the food.

Our small detour didn't seem like much trouble afterwards. We still accomplished our goals for the day, and we were able to assist someone in need.

Our troops need compassion also. They need people to work with them, and care for them.

Take the opportunity to help those who cross your path. It blesses you and them both!

To your healing!

Mike

No comments: