Friday, March 9, 2007

I Didn't Think It Could Happen To Me...

In November of 2005, I arrived in Louisiana to spend 100 days in uniform, helping to clean up the devastation that Hurricanes Katrina and Rita had left behind. We had a group of counselors with us, to help anyone who needed assistance in coping with the magnitude of the destruction.

Honestly, the worst part was over. The floodwaters had receded, and the people who had been stranded without food and water had mostly been transported to a safe place and were being taken care of in some form or another.

But still, those counselors were there. They talked about the various ways stress and trauma can overwhelm a person, how talking about feelings can help, and even how something small may provoke a large emotional response. Like most soldiers, I smiled, thanked them, and went about my business.

I worked 12 hours days for weeks on end. Most days I was doing paperwork and reporting to the leadership. Some days I checked on my soldiers who were supervising debris removal crews. Some days I went to where new temporary schools and facilities were being built.

Some days I explored the previously flooded areas, passing house after house that had been gutted by crews removing all of the damaged materials from the homes.
They weren't hard to find. Houses and debris went on for block after block after block. Trees were down, cars flooded, windows broken, and the waterline had left a stain across each house.

Last night, I saw that vision again. I met a gentleman from Louisiana, and as we were talking I felt a chill come over me. In my mind I saw the waterline mark left upon the thousands of homes by the flooding which followed the hurricane. It stretched for as far as the eye could see.

Each house had been searched at some point, and the rescuers had painted symbols on the side of the house. At many houses, the symbols were painted on the roof, just above the waterline...

The power which accompanied that vision shocked me. Certainly, I had thought about this before, but it hadn't affected me in that way. I suddenly "got it."

I understood why so many of our vets are suffering, but not seeking help. I understood why they needed that help, and resolved to work harder to get our program off the ground.

Although I was never seriously threatened in New Orleans, I feel even more empathy for those who have put their lives on the line. My experiences at the time were overwhelming in some ways, but not overly frightening.

I can only imagine having to deal with the fear and stress of combat.

I'll be talking with some of my partners tomorrow as we move closer to take off.

To your healing!

Mike

No comments: