Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Few Days Too Late

I got an e-mail from a friend a few days ago suggesting that I visit a particular soldier who had lost a leg, and was recuperating at Walter Reed.

Through Soldier's Angels, she had heard that he was there. I had a few busy days planned, so I decided to visit him Sunday evening. It's a bit of a drive across town, but I found it soon enough, and entered the installation.

He was staying in the "hotel" on the base, but unfortunately had checked out the day before I got the e-mail...

I hope he made it home ok, to loved ones who are grateful to have him. I pray that he is strengthened to overcome his new physical challenge.

Most importantly, I pray for his soul and his outlook to be positive.

Since I was there, I went into the lounge to see if anyone was just sitting around and could use someone to talk to. There were several soldiers there, chatting with friends or playing video games. (They had a video Basketball tournament going on...)

It actually seemed peaceful... But I was in the hotel, and the troops there were soon to be on their way home. I'm sure that some of our other veterans aren't in as good moods...

It was dark, and the installation was quiet as I returned to my car.
I thought about that soldier as I drove home.

I don't know him.

But I miss him.

To your healing.

Mike

No comments: